3 Steps to Improve Your Training
For your convenience we’ve highlighted the vital information, skip through as needed, or enjoy the read! 😊
Eat Before Your Workout
Who: The formula below works for both men & women
What: Here is the macro formula experts agree is necessary to fuel a 45 min or longer workout:
0.45g of Carbs per lb of body weight
0.23g of Protein per lb of body weight
0-20g of Fat per lb of body weight – I will cover how to adjust this later and highlight for those who don’t want to read the full post
When: 1 ½ hours prior to workout is optimal
Example: I will typically drink a protein shake, and pair it with oatmeal and a banana.
In the example I chose oatmeal because it digests much more quickly than other options and is simple to prepare.
For those eating 2+ hours prior to your workout, experts recommend consuming more fat and using slower digesting carbohydrates such as bread.
Example: I plan to workout at 3:30 P.M. but my lunch break is at noon. I would consume 0.45g of Carbs per lb of body weight, 0.23g of Protein per lb of body weight and push the fat to 18-20g. In this situation I would most likely have myself a PubSub. For my non-Florida people reading our go to supermarket is called Publix and they make delicious fresh cut sub sandwiches.
For those who have no appetite or find themselves in a rush on the way to the gym, something is better than nothing. Just make sure that something has carbs.
Example: Banana or rice crispy basically anything that’s mostly carb and that won’t slosh around in your stomach.
Where: If you did not like our recommendations, you can find so many recipes and quick snack ideas on YouTube or Instagram. Our page @theforgetampa posts and shares tips like these all the time!
Why: Food = Energy
Reduces production of Cortisol – The hormone that kills your gains
Improves protein synthesis
Improves performance during your workout
Take Your Pre-Workout Properly
Here are 5 steps to increase your performance when taking pre-workout
1. Shake the container – Your pre-workout formula is mixed with multiple important ingredients that each have a different weight. Over time the heavier particles will settle to the bottom, leaving you with uneven scoops.
2. Weigh your serving out – The scooper from the container should measure out an exact serving size but that is rarely the case.
3. Use water – With the increasing popularity of the dry scoop, it’s important to mention the body needs water to transport the performance enhancing ingredients.
4. Let your pre-workout sit for 30 minutes – This allows the solution to completely dissolve, increasing the time and amount of ingredients are absorbed for performance enhancement.
5. Drink 45 minutes BEFORE your workout – That is the estimated time most companies suggest to allow the body enough time to absorb the ingredients.
Take a Snack Break
This last step is vital if 1 or more of the following apply to you:
1. You would like to enhance performance during workout
2. Compensation for those in a caloric deficit
3. If you train more than 1 hour
4. If you prefer to train fasted or simply forgot to eat your pre-workout meal
Experts recommend consuming 0.5g of carbs for every minute you plan to workout past the 30-minute mark.
Example: A 1 ½ hour workout would require 60g carbs
You can consume your carbs through solid food or by drinking them.
Examples: Gatorade or Rice Crispy Treat
If you’re in a caloric deficit like me and do not want to spare the extra carbs, go buy yourself some BCAA’s and drink them starting at the 30-minute mark.
If you’ve made it this far and want to learn more, follow us on IG or FaceBook
Glycogen availability and skeletal muscle adaptations with endurance and resistance exercise
Recent Perspectives Regarding the Role of Dietary Protein for the Promotion of Muscle Hypertrophy with Resistance Exercise Training
International society of sports nutrition position stand: nutrient timing
The effect of protein timing on muscle strength and hypertrophy: a meta-analysis